By Gabor Zolyomi
This paintings is the 1st finished description of Sumerian structures regarding a copula. utilizing the terminology of contemporary descriptive linguistics, it's obtainable to either linguists and sumerologists. utilizing round four hundred totally glossed examples, the e-book offers an research of all makes use of of the copula and gives an outline of the morphological and syntactic units used to mark identificational, polarity and sentence concentration in Sumerian.
Read or Download Copular Clauses and Focus Marking in Sumerian PDF
Best foreign language dictionaries & thesauruses books
This version is written in English. despite the fact that, there's a operating Spanish glossary on the backside of every web page for the more challenging English phrases highlighted within the textual content. there are lots of versions of a lot Ado approximately not anything. This version will be important if y
This paintings is the 1st accomplished description of Sumerian buildings related to a copula. utilising the terminology of recent descriptive linguistics, it really is available to either linguists and sumerologists. utilizing round four hundred absolutely glossed examples, the e-book offers an research of all makes use of of the copula and offers an outline of the morphological and syntactic units used to mark identificational, polarity and sentence concentration in Sumerian.
It is simple to coach your self Greek! entire Greek: A educate your self advisor provide you with a transparent and entire method of Greek, so that you can growth speedy from the fundamentals to figuring out, conversing, and writing Greek with self assurance. inside all the 24 thematic chapters, vital language constructions are brought via life-like dialogues.
Tendencies IN LINGUISTICS is a chain of books that open new views in our figuring out of language. The sequence publishes cutting-edge paintings on center components of linguistics throughout theoretical frameworks in addition to reviews that offer new insights through construction bridges to neighbouring fields equivalent to neuroscience and cognitive technology.
- The Jewish Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Amdya
- A Coptic Dictionary (Oxford University Press academic monograph reprints)
- Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Webster's Korean Thesaurus Edition)
- An Introduction to Persian
- King Henry V (Webster's French Thesaurus Edition)
Additional resources for Copular Clauses and Focus Marking in Sumerian
687-705) gives a detailed description of Sumerian CCs arranged according to the types of constituents that may function as S or PC. Jagersma’s description is the most detailed one ever written about CCs in Sumerian, and particularly, the parts on clauses with a non-finite verbal form as the PC are extremely insightful. Linguistic studies on CCs, however, discuss the kind of constituents in CCs only in connection with another kind of classification which appears to be more relevant to the description of CCs.
507-510) similar constructions are labelled as “sentence-focus clefts”. 4 Copular Clauses in Which the Order of S and PC Is Inverted In all CCs discussed up to this point, the constituent adjacent to the COP was the PC. The most important feature of the next clause type, type (D), is that the participant adjacent to the COP is the S. In other words, the order of PC and S is inverted. Characteristically, the S of these configurations is either an independent pronoun or a proper name. The kinds of NPs that may function as S, and the inverse order of S and PC both suggest that these CCs are specificational.
60) Mark Twain is Samuel Clemens. , word order), morphological or prosodic means, or some combination of these, to mark the information structure of clauses. In the case of a dead language without native speakers, preserved only in written sources, one has limited opportunities to recover and reconstruct its information structure. 38 A basic assumption of this work is that Sumerian is a language in which word order is determined by information structure. Sumerian is a verb-final language, and the order of the other constituents shows a great degree of variation with some frequent patterns.